Resources for Talent Acquisition, Hiring and Recruitment
One needs to have dreams, plans, strategies to be successful in any venture. This is a basic requirement. If you do not know what you want, where you want to reach and how you want to reach (your mode and plan for success), you certainly cannot reach there. In case you are starting a new venture or you are planning to diversify your existing business, you also need to identify the source for your capital (Financial Backing). You cannot do all these things on your own. You need “extra-ordinarily talented” and Highly Skilled people to help you to reach the goal that you have seen for your organization. For this, you need a jeweller (the talented, matured and exceptionally skilled HR Professional) to identify such DIAMONDS for you. It is one of the key role of a HR Professional to identify, source, select, HIRE and RETAIN BEST of the talent from the market to work for the organization. If they cannot find talented people from the market then they need to groom the right type of people with the right type of attitude and aptitude. In 21st Century, we are in the era of “war for talent”. It is becoming difficult to get right type of people and retain them. Many companies are losing their businesses because they are not able to hire “right type of people”; because they compromised with the “quality of the talent”. In this article, we will try to explore and understand different sources to get “Best of the Talents”. Any reference of HR Department” in this article, means Team of Talent Acquisition, Hiring and Recruitment.
Different Sources To Get Talented People
As a HR Professional (Chief Talent Acquisition Officer; Hiring Manager or Recruitment Head), one should be aware of all the sources and resources to get best of the talents and they should also be aware of as how to use those resources to the optimum level. You can use either or all of the below mentioned tools to get BEST talents.
1) Existing and “Active” Candidates Data with Company
2) Employee References
3) Internal Advertisement (internal Job Posting)
4) Jobsites and Job Portals
5) Campus Hiring
6) Recruitment Consultancies
7) External (Newspaper) Advertisement
8) Social and Professional Networks & Local Communities
9) Head Hunting (Also called as “Body Shopping”)
Distinction Between Headhunting and Talent Poaching
Some talent acquisition managers as well as hiring and recruitment professionals are confused and are not able to discriminate between the two. Here are few differences between the two:
1) Headhunting is associated with senior and rare profiles. Talent Poaching is just sweeping and running through talent-wealth of your competitor.
2) Headhunting is planned. Talent Poaching is targeted.
3) In headhunting, the intention is to get the BEST person for your organization but in Talent Poaching, the intention is to kill your competitor and the competition.
4) Headhunting is about getting a person with “Leadership” skills and “Global Exposure”. Talent Poaching is about “saving the training cost”.
This article is not about “Recruitment Process” or to describe about “Steps involved in Recruitment Process” but just to share the resources and channels to source and identify talent. I have taken care to list all the possible channels. I am sure all the readers will gain from this article.
I Would like to thanks Mr. Sanjeev Himachali for this contribution.